This helpsheet is specifically for those modules with Time Constraint Assessments (TCA) and Short Format Assignments. This guide should be used alongside other guidance provided by your college or the university.
Below, we will talk you through the process of adjusting your Time Constrained Assessment (TCA) for students who have Learning Support Plans (LSP).
Create a Second Turnitin Submission Point
We need to create a second Turnitin submission point within our TCA area on Blackboard.
- Go to the Assessments area of the Bb site. This differs by School Blackboard template. A selection are shown below.
- Enter the folder for the TCA that you created when setting up your Blackboard site.
- Click on the Build Content menu along the top of the area and choose Turnitin Feedback Studio from the list.
- For a standard submission point choose Paper Assignment and click Next Step.
- Give your Assignment title a name. If a Time Constraint Assessment, the name should be in the format: Time Constraint Assessment – Due [insert date and time]. If a Short Format Assignment, the name should be in the format: Short Format Assessment – Due [insert date and time]
Note: As we are creating a second submission point for students who have a Learning Support Plan (LSP) and will be given more time to complete the assessment, you sould note this in your assignment title. For example, calling it: Time Constrained Assessment – Due [insert date and time] [For Students with LSPs].
- Point value refers to the score you want to mark out of. This nearly always should be 100.
- The start date, post date and feedback release date should match those of your first Turnitin submission.
- Click Optional Settings to open up some important settings. Note: these settings do need to be looked at.
- Hover the mouse cursor over the blue circle icon at the end of each section for a full description on that option.
Important Note: Allow students to view Similarity Reports should be unticked
- It is recommended that the settings should be as detailed below. Each setting is now explained in turn.
- Papers should be submitted to the Standard Repository.
- Submissions should be allowed after Due Date. Late submissions will be marked in red. Penalties can be applied as per UoL procedures.
- Similarity Reports should be generated immediately to enable UoL’s Academic Integrity processes. This allows students to resubmit multiple times before the deadline.
- Exclude Bibliography ought to be unticked to ensure standardisation across UoL.
- Exclude Quoted materials ought to be unticked to ensure standardisation across UoL.
- Exclude Small sources should be unticked.
- Students should not be allowed to see similarity reports in order to reduce the amount of potential issues (delays from Turnitin in processing reports, students not realising only one report can be generated per day for each assignment point). So keep this unticked.
- Click Submit when you are happy with all the options.
- The submission point is then created. The Turnitin submission point you just created will be placed at the bottom of the content in the content area.
Make the Turnitin Submission Point Visible to a Set Group of Students
The next step is to make your second Turnitin submission point visible to students who have an LSP. This will mean that only these students are able to access the second submission point.
Note: You should have a list of students on your module who have an LSP. You will need to use their student IDs (the part before the @students.lincoln.ac.uk in the student email address).
- Click the grey arrow to the right hand side of your second Turnitin submission point and select ‘Adaptive Release’.
- Scroll to the ‘Membership’ section of Adaptive Release.
- You will note that there are two options within the membership section. You can either make your TCA Submission Point visible to specific students who have a Learning Support Plan (LSP) or, if you have many students with LSPs, you could create a group and use this to set the adaptive release rules.
- In this case, we are going to enter two example student IDs into the membership box and separate them with a comma. Note: You will need to enter specific student IDs from your list, rather than example names like we are using here.
- To apply your membership settings, click ‘Submit’ at the bottom of the page.
- Your second Turnitin Submission Point will be updated to show that adaptive release is enabled. This will make the submission point visible only to those students you have selected under ‘Membership’. The other students will not see this submission point. Note: Students who have LSPs will see both submission points, so please advise them to use the correct one.
You have now completed the technical setup for your TCA exam. If you would like more advice on creating your questions for the exam please visit: