Challenge: how can students gain information effectively
This activity uses podcasts to help students develop their learning. This is taught through a series of podcasts which highlight key information in bitesize chunks.
ABC – Acquisition Type Activity
This activity relates to the ABC activity type of acquisition. This activity is designed to share information with students.
Activity in practice:
Academic: Dr Rachel Bromnick
School: School of Psychology
Dr Rachel Bromnick wanted to support her students with careers development learning. To support this she designed a series of podcasts called ‘talking jobs’ which were shared with students to access in their own time. This relaxed, audio only, approach to sharing information gave students the flexibility to access when, where and how they felt comfortable.
To find out in more detail how this activity was embedded. Click here
▼▼ Scroll down to find more instructions on preparing & running this activity ▼▼
Benefits of activity:
- Convenient and flexible for students
- A different approach to traditional didactic teaching
- Relates to future employability skills#
- Quick to create
Instructions & Related Resources
Below you will find some instructions relating to the activity mentioned above to enable you to adapt this activity for your subject area. This is split into three sections for your convienience: Preparing the activity, running the activity and related resources. Feel free to let the digital education team know how you have adapted this activity.
Preparing the Activity
- Find a topic that you would like to create podcasts for the students about.
- Split key information on that topic into key areas and think if there are any other academics who would be willing to be part of this podcast as a guest.
- Create a simple structure for the podcast: e.g. introductions, key topic, three key questions and examples.
- What software are you going to use to create the podcast? Panopto, Audio recorder? YouTube
- What equipment will you need to create the podcast: a good quality microphone.
- Ensure access to IT support for students/staff is available.
Running the Activity
Although multiple software’s are available for audio recording and editing, this activity will focus on using Panopto.
Creating the audio
Once you have worked out the structure for your podcast you can use a high quality microphone and the Panopto recorder to create an audio only capture. To do this simply choose to have no camera in either the web or desktop based programme. This will create a purely audio based stream which will be uploaded. This can then be edited using the online editor. Alternatively you can create a seperate audio file which can be edited and uploaded directly to Panopto.
Editing the audio
Once the audio has been created this can be edited within Panopto using the standard online editor tool (see helpsheet below for guidance).
It is recommended that any additional files are uploaded in the MP3 format.
Sharing the audio
Panopto content is able to be shared quickly and easily on Blackboard module sites with all the correct viewing permissions applied (see helpsheet below for guidance).
Please note that a wide variety of softwares can be used to fulfil this activity. We have placed links to some of these below.