Recording lectures remotely with Panopto
This helpsheet details how to record your lectures remotely from home using your own laptop. Laptops are recommended as these have built in webcams and microphones. The process for MacOS and Windows is largely the same.
There are three stages to the process.
- STAGE ONE: Configuring a Panopto folder on a Blackboard module site
- STAGE TWO: Installing the Panopto application on your laptop
- STAGE THREE: Recording with Panopto
STAGE ONE: Configuring a Panopto folder on a Blackboard module site
Before using Panopto to remotely record lectures, you need to provision your module site onto the Panopto system. This only needs to be done once per module and may have already been done on your module site.
- Go to your module site on Blackboard.
- Every Blackboard site has a Panopto button. If the button is hidden, unhide the button. Click the Panopto button on the module site menu bar.
- On the next screen, click Configure at the top of your screen to provision the course on the Panopto server.
- Click Add Course to Panopto when prompted.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click OK
- On the final screen, ignore the Folder options and click Submit
At the end of this process, a folder for this module site will now be created within the Panopto system. You are now ready to add videos, screencasts and lecture recordings to this area of your Blackboard site.
STAGE TWO: Installing the Panopto application on your laptop
- On the module site click on the Panopto menu button.
- Click on Create and, from the drop-down menu that appears, select an installer to download.
- The installer will download. Click to open and install the application by following the steps on the installation wizard.
You are now ready to remotely record lecturers from your own laptop.
STAGE THREE: Recording with Panopto
- On the module site’s menu bar, click on the Panopto menu button. Ensure Outlook is closed so that your email inbox is not captured in the recording.
- Click on Create and, from the drop-down menu that appears, select Record a new session.
- If asked to approve the launch of the Panopto recorder, click Allow. The Panopto application then opens with all the settings correctly configured.
- Click the Record button. This minimises the Panopto application. Sound will be picked up by your laptop mic.
- Pause and restart the recording by clicking the Panopto icon in the Windows Taskbar and Pause.
- When finished, click the Panopto icon in the Windows Taskbar and the Stop icon. Click Upload on the next screen.
- You will be sent an email with a link to review the video. The recording will appear on your module site in the Panopto area where it can be edited by clicking the Edit icon.
- Students can access the recordings immediately unless you choose to edit the availability parameters. To do this, go to the Panopto area on the module site and click the Settings cog icon and adjust the dates on the next screen.