How to use video to communicate techniques
Challenge: How can students share information with wider audiences?
Students work in groups of 4 to design and produce their own video demonstrating their learned techniques and explaining the relevance of those techniques. Students then submit individual essays setting out their personal reflections on the exercise.
ABC – Production Type Activity
This activity relates to the ABC activity type of production. This activity will produce and outcome/output.
Activity in practice:
Academic: Gillian Fowler
School: School of Life Sciences
Students worked in groups of four to design and produce their own video demonstrating their learning techniques and explaining the relevance of those techniques in a forensix scenario. Students then submitted individual essays setting out their personal reflections to supplement the exercise
To find out in more detail how this activity was embedded. Click here
▼▼ Scroll down to find more instructions on preparing & running this activity ▼▼
Benefits of activity:
- Students were able to use multi-modal approach to show their understanding of a topic
- Created a critical reflection point for students to analyse their understanding
- Enabled students to demonstrate an understanding of key techniques
Instructions & Related Resources
Below you will find some instructions relating to the activity mentioned above to enable you to adapt this activity for your subject area. This is split into three sections for your convienience: Preparing the activity, running the activity and related resources. Feel free to let the digital education team know how you have adapted this activity.
Preparing the Activity
- Identify a suitable activity or theme to capture.
- Develop an assessment methodology appropriate to the assessment of the video
- Set deadline for assessment handin
Running the Activity
This is just one example of how this activity can be run:
- Provide instructions and run a demonstration workshop for students so they are aware of how to use the tool
- Ensure all students are clear on how to use Panopto to upload their videos
- Students form groups to start collaboration on their video production
- Students upload video production via Panopto/Blackboard
To find out more about using Panopto for video assessments, including student facing resources, please see the resource box below.